Onslow College offers its International Students a supportive and caring environment while also providing outstanding educational experience.
OPEN EVENING 2022
Guidance Level 4 Information
If you would like to check in with one of the school counsellors, please complete our online referral form:
If you are concerned about your mental health, please do not hesitate to contact one of the numbers at the link: https://www.onslow.school.nz/current-students/student-support/guidance-counselling-and-resources.
For all urgent mental health queries, please contact Te Haika at 0800 745 477.
At Onslow College we are committed to providing our students with outstanding educational experiences, opportunities and sport and cultural activities.
Supporting Our Children
As parents of adolescents you will know unexpected things will happen and young people will all react differently.
Sometimes young people will want to talk to you or another trusted adult about how they are feeling. Let them know it is ok to ask for help and you are available to listen or can help them contact other support agencies.
Some signs to look out for are:
- Changes in behaviour (tearfulness, sleep patterns, eating patterns, up and down emotions or heightened anger or irritability, becoming suddenly calm or happy after being down, feeling hopeless orworthless, guilty, whakamā or ashamed.
- Losing confidence, or a downturn in school or sport performance.
- Becoming isolated or withdrawn from whānau, family and friends, things that are normally of interest (hobbies, sports, friends).
- Talking about depression and death – expressing dark thoughts
- Not coping with day to day problems, or becoming overwhelmed with usual activities
- Using drugs or alcohol to cope with difficult feelings or thoughts
- An escalation of risk taking behaviours including self-harm or sexual activity or stopping taking medicine
- Giving away possessions, tying up loose ends,
- Physical symptoms that don’t have an obvious cause such as aches, pains, feeling sick
If you are worried about your child please contact the Guidance Counsellors during school hours on: 04 478 8189 extension 831 and 849.
Outside of school hours and term time:
You can also ring or text 1737
Youthline text on 234 (8am to midnight) or ring 0800 376 633 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lifeline 0800 543354
Help (Wellington Sexual Abuse Help) - 04 801 6655
Safe to talk - 0800 044 334
Onslow College is an environment that encourages independence, self- discipline, and social responsibility with a student-centred philosophy.
There is a new app for Entertainment Books called Entertainment ANZ in the App Store. Last year’s purchase easily transfers to this app. The old app will work until the end of June. (see attached file)
Receive fantastic savings while you eat, play and shop with Entertainment. Memberships are convenient, easy to use and packed full of valuable 2 for 1 and up to 50% off offers for you and your family to use over any 12-month period from activation.
Get yours today online by clicking the below link!
Would you like to host an international student for Onslow College?
We need families who are willing to share their home with Year 10-13 international students from July 2022. We offer a competitive weekly allowance and on-going support.
This is a great opportunity for you and your family to learn about different cultures, share New Zealand culture and values, and practise your language skills.
If you are interested in discussing the possibility of hosting, please send us a brief description about yourself and your family including why you are interested in hosting an international student to email@example.com