Onslow College offers its International Students a supportive and caring environment while also providing outstanding educational experience.
Focus for Term 4 for all Students and Staff
Showcase of Student writing
who have been voted as Student Representatives on the Board of Trustees.
Vaping a widespread problem in New Zealand schools
Congratulations to the following students for their Achievement in the 2019 NZ Economics Competition run by Auckland University Business School:
At Onslow College we are committed to providing our students with outstanding educational experiences, opportunities and sport and cultural activities.
Supporting Our Children
As parents of adolescents you will know unexpected things will happen and young people will all react differently.
Sometimes young people will want to talk to you or another trusted adult about how they are feeling. Let them know it is ok to ask for help and you are available to listen or can help them contact other support agencies.
Some signs to look out for are:
- Changes in behaviour (tearfulness, sleep patterns, eating patterns, up and down emotions or heightened anger or irritability, becoming suddenly calm or happy after being down, feeling hopeless orworthless, guilty, whakamā or ashamed.
- Losing confidence, or a downturn in school or sport performance.
- Becoming isolated or withdrawn from whānau, family and friends, things that are normally of interest (hobbies, sports, friends).
- Talking about depression and death – expressing dark thoughts
- Not coping with day to day problems, or becoming overwhelmed with usual activities
- Using drugs or alcohol to cope with difficult feelings or thoughts
- An escalation of risk taking behaviours including self-harm or sexual activity or stopping taking medicine
- Giving away possessions, tying up loose ends,
- Physical symptoms that don’t have an obvious cause such as aches, pains, feeling sick
If you are worried about your child please contact the Guidance Counsellors during school hours Linda and Nicky on: 04 478 8189 extension 831 and 849.
Outside of school hours and term time:
You can also ring or text 1737
Youthline text on 234 (8am to midnight) or ring 0800 376 633 or email email@example.com
Lifeline 0800 543354
Onslow College is an environment that encourages independence, self- discipline, and social responsibility with a student-centred philosophy.
Brand new Entertainment Christmas Digital campaign.
The new Entertainment fundraiser is now live. There are 3 new digital memberships to choose from and gives the gift-receiver a 12-month Entertainment Membership, valid from the day they activate.
As a fundraiser, the school will receive 20% of the proceeds from every sale through our Online Order Page.
Click on this link to order
Our Schooling Futures: Stronger Together Whiria Ngā Kura Tūātinitini report
On the 23 March, the Board had a Workshop to discuss the education reviews 32 recommendations of the future of the schools in New Zealand. To help us with this we heard perspectives from Brett Hudson, Nicola Willis, Claire O’Fee, John Russell our facilitator also provided valuable guidance
Congratulations to the Kapa Haka who performed on Saturday 21 September at the St Brigid’s festival.