"The concept of ako describes a teaching and learning relationship, where the educator is also learning from the student and where educators' practices are informed by the latest research and are both deliberate and reflective. Ako is grounded in the principle of reciprocity and also recognises that the learner and whānau cannot be separated." Ka Hikitia, 2008, p.20
Ako Time at Onslow College
Ako time is an extended form time which currently runs on Wednesdays from 11:50am - 12:20pm. In 2018 we plan to remove form time from our timetable and replace it with two 30 minute Ako times where students and teachers have time within the school week to:
- Explore and understand how students learn best
- Have learning/mentoring conversations
- Understand how to track their progress
- Gain a greater understanding of future pathways
- Become more connected to the school and the wider community.
Within Ako time our aim is to:
- Help develop well informed students who have the tools and support to take control of their own learning and future pathways
- Develop student connections to each other, the staff, the school and the wider community
- Help students develop their understanding of environmental and social issues and how they can contribute solutions to these.