Onslow International Programme
|High School Programme||High School Programme|
|NCEA Examinations||New Zealand Travel|
|NZ/Overseas University||Return to your own country|
We offer two programmes:
1. An academic programme leading to university entrance. This programme usually takes two to three years and prepares students for entry to university in New Zealand and other English speaking countries. NB Students who commence their study in Year 10 are likely to be more successful academically.
2. A cultural exchange and language programme. Students in this programme spend 6 months to one year studying with New Zealand students. Students improve their use of the English language and gain confidence orally. Also we offer a one semester New Zealand Studies Course to help students to gain an understanding of the New Zealand way of life.
Information booklets on NCEA (National Certificates of Educational Achievement) in other languages are here.
If the student’s English level is low he/she may be sent to a local English language school. Onslow College does not provide full time Intensive English for International Students with beginner to late beginner levels of English. The English Language department runs language classes for students with different levels of English Language. Students can receive up to 12 hours of English Language support per week. English Language teachers and Teacher Assistants also support students in their mainstream subjects.
- English Language staff also provide support for regular classroom teachers by training them in techniques for helping English Language students in their classrooms.
- Students who enrol at Years 11 and 12 with an elementary or pre-intermediate level of English are enrolled in a Curriculum Based Language support course. This course provides extra language and curriculum support in Year 11 Sciences and Year 11 to Year 13 Mathematics courses. The aim of the course is to assist the students to understand the subject specific vocabulary, assessments and class work on these subjects. These classes are taught by subject teachers who have some training in teaching English for academic purposes. This year we are also introducing support in Commerce subjects.
- At Year 11 and 12, many English Language Students follow a 2 year NCEA level 1 Academic English Course. This course aims to achieve the NCEA level 1 literacy requirements.
- At Year 13 level, the English Language Department provides an Academic English Course. This is run in addition to five academic subjects. Students studying NCEA Level 3 are expected to be enrolled in this course , unless their English level is very high. The course aims to assist the students to pass the NCEA Level 2 literacy requirements for entry to University. It includes an academic vocabulary programme. The course outlines are available on request from the English Language Department.
Download a copy of the Onslow International Brochure