Email: | Phone: (+64 4) 478 8189

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I extend my 1 year NZ Visa if I decide to stay longer?

Yes, we can help you to do this at Onslow College. It is easy to do and we will help you.

Will my homestay family look after me?

Yes, our homestay families are excellent. Many have been hosting students for many years. We check all our homestay families to make sure they met our high standards. They are police vetted and we check with their referees. We also meet with you regularly to find out how you are feeling about your host family.

Do I have to stay in a homestay?

Yes, we want all our international students to have a cultural experience to help improve their English. Most students stay with New Zealand families. If a student is still attending Onslow when they are 19, they can apply to go flatting.

Can I travel around New Zealand while at Onslow College?

If you are 18 or under you may travel with other families or your own parents around New Zealand. We can help you do this. We can also help you to join a tour around New Zealand with your age group or you can join a school organised trip overseas or around New Zealand. Remember! We also take all new international students on a camp for 2 days to the Wairarapa in February. You will have the opportunity to go rafting, abseiling, high rope climbing and sometimes surfing.

Must I have medical Insurance?

Yes, all international students must have medical and travel insurance for their time in New Zealand. We can arrange this for you.

Is English Language tuition included in the tuition fees?

Yes, you don’t need to pay more money for English Language classes. We have an excellent English Language Department to help you learn English and prepare you for university study.

Is there any language support for students in their mainstream curriculum subject classes?

Yes, in year 9 - 11 classes. We also have one extra Year 11 Science, Year 12 & 13 Mathematics language support course called Curriculum Based Language.

Can international students take music lessons?

Yes, many of our international students take music lessons. This is an additional cost. They can also join the school choir, school band, rock bands or the school orchestra. Every year the music department takes students annually on a music camp in March.

Can I play sports at Onslow College?

Yes, we have many sports teams at Onslow College. Many of the games are played against other school either after school or in the weekend.

Can I participate in an outdoor education course at Onslow College?

Yes, we have a course which is run both semesters. Students will have the chance to experience a range of outdoor pursuits.

Is it possible to study subjects at more than one level?

Yes, this is possible. For example students who are good at Mathematics may work at a higher level. We have a lot of experience at working out a study plan that will suit all students and we will advise them on the best path of study after assessing their English level and looking at their previous school record.

Can I work while on a student visa?

NZ Immigration rules allow senior students (Year 12 & 13) to work up to 20 hours a week. However we only allow you to work 10 hours a week during term time. You need to apply for a Variation of Conditions to your student visa. We can help you to do this.

What should I do if I am unhappy about anything in my homestay or school?

You should talk to the Director of International Students or the Homestay Manager as soon as possible. We want you to be happy here and enjoy living with your host family.

How do I get entrance into university?

If you have an intermediate level of English (this means you have learnt English for 3 or more years) you will probably need around two years of high school in NZ before your English is good enough for university study.

To get into university in New Zealand:

  • You must pass at least 4 Year 13 subjects depending on the university you wish to attend. Many students achieve good results in the following subjects Maths (calculus), Maths (statistics), Economics, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Art - Design, Art - Painting, Accounting, Mandarin, Japanese, and Spanish. All universities now require passes in 4 or 5 subjects and a grade point average.
  • Also you must pass at least 10 NCEA credits of Year 12 English. You can do these credits in either mainstream English and/or English Language classes
  • You must also pass Mathematics at Year 11 level (or higher).

The information provided above is only a simple summary of requirements. It is important to check the website of each university for their entry requirements. You may need different grades for some courses.