Why Onslow College
Onslow College is driven by a sense of community rather than conformity. Our challenge is to enable students to develop their potential through high quality education in a cooperative, friendly, stimulating and well-disciplined environment.
Onslow College offers:
- A co-educational secondary environment.
- A high standard of homestay care.
- Excellent preparation for University.
- A distinctive and successful academic record. Most students continue on to tertiary studies.
- On going English language support from specialist teachers.
- Well resourced facilities.
- Local and national recognition.
- A safe and supportive environment.
- A large choice of subjects and extra curricular activities.
- A non-uniform school.
Onslow College is situated in Wellington which is the capital city of New Zealand and where our Government meets. The city contains the Embassies and Consulates of all the countries with which New Zealand has relationships. Some of these families attend Onslow College. Wellington city has a population of approximately 180,000 and is built around a beautiful harbour and tree covered hills. It has interesting shopping centre and entertaining facilities.
Onslow College is situated in the suburb of Johnsonville, 10 minutes north of central Wellington by car. It has an excellent shopping centre and lots of bush and parks nearby and is also on the train and bus routes.
To find out more about learning and living in Wellington, visit http://www.studyinwellington.com/
We will work hard to help your child be happy and successful at our school.
ONSLOW COLLEGE CODE OF CONDUCT
Expectations of Onslow College
While attending Onslow College, we expect our international students to show respect for others, for themselves and for their environment.
Showing respect for others:
- Participating fully in our school programme by attending all classes on time (a requirement of your student visa) and accepting other students’ differences and beliefs.
- Behaving in a safe and considerate manner at all times.
- Discussing your plans with your host family and letting them know where you are at all times. You must have permission from your natural parents and the school for any tours or trip outside Wellington.
- Being considerate and understanding about your homestay parents, their home and their expectations that you must adhere to while living with them.
- Using the internet appropriately and keeping to the timeline set by your host parents.
Showing respect for yourself:
- Engage fully in your learning and making satisfactory progress.
- Participating fully in school life especially sporting and cultural activities where possible.
- Maintain a healthy attitude and not having inappropriate physical contact with others.
- Looking after your health and wellbeing. Not purchasing and consuming alcohol, taking drugs, smoking cigarettes or taking other harmful substances.
- Keeping yourself safe: all extreme sports and activities require approval from your parents. You are not allowed to drive or own a motor vehicle nor drive with a person who does not have a full licence.
- Follow the rules regarding living in a homestay.
Showing respect for our environment:
- Using our school’s recycling programme
- when purchasing a product, consider the appropriateness of the packaging (especially plastic)
- Caring for furniture, buildings and plants