Email: | Phone: (+64 4) 478 8189

Support for International Students

The International Students Department works hard at providing a warm and caring support structure for its students. We have are known for our "open door" approach which means we welcome the opportunity to discuss any concerns or questions that the students may have at any time. Students do not need to make appointment to see one of the International Department staff members.

International Staff

Kerry, Carol, Veronica, Keala and Catherine support students in their class. May Wong, the International Programme Manager, is in charge of the administration for the department. She also works with Chinese students on any pastoral care issues. They have Kerry Finnigan, the Director of International Students, helps students with any concerns they may have at school. Shiromi Seneviratne, our Homestay Manager is also available to support the students in our homestay programme.

Social Support

The International Student Department runs orientation programmes for all new students throughout the year. An International Dinner is held at the beginning of the year to welcome new students and their host families. Students are also taken on an outdoor education trip where they have the opportunity to experience abseiling and rafting in one of our forest parks and go surfing at a wonderful east coast beach. Other outings and events are arranged throughout the year. We also run an end of year activity programme around Wellington for students who are not sitting NCEA examinations.

Students are encouraged to join in sporting and cultural activities within the wider school. There are many sports teams they can join which compete locally and nationally. Other activities available include a music camp, musical production, a school orchestra and other musical groups.

Academic Support

Onslow College focuses on providing a high standard of teaching for our international students wishing to complete their schooling in New Zealand. The students are well prepared for our NCEA examination and achieve good pass rates.

If you have an intermediate level of English (this means that you have learned English for 3 years or more) you will probably need around two years of high school in New Zealand before your English is good enough for university study. If your English is beginner to elementary you probably need three to fours years of high school education.The Department also runs a Curriculum Based Language Course for students who need it. This course focuses on giving Year 11 & 12 extra support with their Mathematics and Science courses. The students work with specialist subject teachers on vocabulary, assessments and assignments which are related to the course that they are doing.

Official Complaints

If you have an issue with your school life and would like to make and official complaint, please read the Grievance Procedure below:

Download the Grievance Procedure document.