ICT for Learning/BYOD
2018 BYOD Information
Click the links below for information regarding BYOD at Onslow College 2018.
Enabling and Supporting Learning using Information and Communication Technologies
e-Learning is an area of dramatic change in New Zealand schools. Current research identifies that e-Learning tools can motivate and engage students. This motivation and engagement can be a critical catalyst as our teachers continue to strive to offer authentic, relevant and dynamic learning for Onslow College students.
It also enables students to access and create digital content whenever it is appropriate to enhance their learning
The New Zealand Curriculum encourages schools to explore not only how ICT can supplement traditional ways of teaching but also how it can open up new and different ways of learning. It specifically identifies the potential of eLearning to:
- Assist in the making connections by enabling students to enter and explore new learning environments, overcoming barriers of distance and time
- Facilitate shared learning by enabling students to join or create communities of learners that expend well beyond the classroom
- Assist in the creation of supportive learning environments by offering resources that take account of individual, cultural, or developmental differences
- Enhance opportunities to learn by offering students the virtual experiences and tools that save them time, allowing them to take their learning further
BYOD at Onslow College
The advantages of students bringing their own device are varied. The internet is continuing to develop into an essential platform for learning. As an important resource for all students it gives them the ability to communicate, collaborate, and extend their learning as they strive to become resourceful, well-balanced, positively-contributing citizens.
Specifically, students at Onslow College will be able to:
- Have anytime, anywhere access to class resources, activities and learning through our internet-based Learning Management System
- Communicate with their teachers and peers through the school’s web based email system
- Access a range of collaborative learning tools through Office 365.
- Develop e-portfolios in various forms to enable them to gather evidence of their learning.
- Have access to differentiated learning tasks which will better reflect their individual learning needs.
- Receive immediate and targeted feedback on progress
- Already some students are bringing laptops, netbooks and tablets (iPad, Galaxy tablet etc) to support their learning at school. We are now encouraging students who have a suitable device to bring it to school. We want to see all students in Year 9 & 10 bring a device. Students at other levels are encouraged to bring their device and the school will ensure they can access the school IT system.
- Individual teachers will speak to their classes about when and how devices can be used in their classes. Students without a device will be catered for in a variety of ways and will still have a full educational experience. For example, the existing school laptops will be more accessible as other students will be using their own devices. Subjects requiring specialist computer access will continue to be timetabled into existing school computer facilities.
All students using the Onslow College network are bound by the ICT User Agreement signed by both the student and the parent/caregiver on enrolment.
A copy of the agreement is available here.