The Board of Trustees and staff of Onslow College are committed to providing quality education for all students in the school. There is an optimum roll figure that is determined by the physical resources of the school. Above this, the quality of education delivered to the students is diminished. This enrolment scheme aims to avoid overcrowding by restricting the number of students enrolled at the school.
- To maintain the highest possible standard of education delivery to the children attending the school.
- To avoid overcrowding at the school.
- To ensure that undue pressure is not placed on the resources of the school.
- If required, to limit numbers of children enrolling, using pre-established criteria.
- To give priority of entry to those children living within the school zone.
- To maintain some flexibility in enrolments in order not to exclude more children than is necessary to meet the above objectives.
The Onslow College Home Zone
All students who live within the home zone described below are entitled to enrol at the school.
Onslow College’s normal geographic zone includes streets arising within the following area. The area is defined by the following access points to Onslow College.
The enrolment scheme home zone is that area which lies within the areas of Ohariu Valley, Churton Park, Glenside, Johnsonville, Broadmeadows, Rangoon Heights, Khandallah, Cashmere, Ngaio, Kaiwharawhara, Crofton Downs, Chartwell, Wadestown, Wilton and Northland.
In summary, the zone is that area bounded by the centre-line of the Johnsonville-Porirua motorway (from the high-tension power lines north of Churton Park and south of the intersection between Richmond Hill Rd and Middleton Rd), the centre-line of Centennial Highway in Ngauranga Gorge, the centre-line of Old Hutt Road, the centre-line of Tinakori Road, the centre-line of Glenmore Street, the centre-line of Chaytor Street, the centre-line of Curtis Street to the intersection of Curtis St and Whitehead Rd. The western boundary is formed bya line directly north from the intersection of Curtis St and Whitehead Rd and including all streets in the suburbs of Northland, Wilton, Chartwell, Crofton Downs, Ngaio, Khandallah, Johnsonville and Churton Park to the bridge at the northern end of Takarau Gorge (by number 341 Takarau Gorge Rd). The northern section of the zone includes all houses in Rifle Range Road, Ohariu Valley Road, Boom Rock Road and Takarau Gorge Road up to number 341.
Home Zone Enrolments
Each year, applications for enrolment in the following year from in-zone students will be sought by a date which will be published in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. This will enable the Board to assess the number of places which can be made available to students who live outside the home zone.
Out of Zone Enrolments
Each year the Board will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
- Students who meet the criteria for enrolment in an approved special programme run by the schoolas defined in Section 11B of the Education Act 1989.(Onslow College has no such programme.)
- Siblings of current students
- Siblings of former students
- Children of former students
- Children of board members or children of board employees
- All other students.
If there are more applicants than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G (1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
For more information, or to request an enrolment pack, please e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org