Information and Communication Technologies
At Onslow College enabling and supporting learning using Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) is of great importance. e-Learning is an area of dramatic change in New Zealand schools. Current research identifies that e-Learning tools can motivate and engage students. This motivation and engagement can be a critical catalyst as our teachers continue to strive to offer authentic, relevant and dynamic learning for Onslow College students.
It also enables students to access and create digital content whenever it is appropriate to enhance their learning
The New Zealand Curriculum encourages schools to explore not only how ICT can supplement traditional ways of teaching but also how it can open up new and different ways of learning. It specifically identifies the potential of eLearning to:
- Assists in making connections by enabling students to enter and explore new learning environments, overcoming barriers of distance and time
- Facilitate shared learning by enabling students to join or create communities of learners that expand well beyond the classroom
- Assist in the creation of supportive learning environments by offering resources that take account of individual, cultural, or developmental differences
- Enhance opportunities to learn by offering students the virtual experiences and tools that save them time, allowing them to take their learning further
For more information on BYOD at Onslow please click here.
IT Induction for New Students
At the beginning of the year an IT Induction is part of the Orientation programme.
For those students that join us during the year, the IT Induction process is as followed:
The Year level Dean will make an appointment with the new student and IT Support for Spell 1 of the student's first day.
- Ensure all students can:
- Log on to our network using a school machine
- Access their school mail and Moodle on a school machine
- Log on to Office 365 portal on a school machine
- Ensure students that are bringing their own laptop can:
- Can connect their laptop to our Wi-Fi
- Access their school mail and Moodle on their laptop
- Log on to Office 365 portal on their laptop
- Ensure that students know how to install Office 365 if they wish to